Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fruit -- and things that look like it.

I have dragonfruit for breakfast, freshly cut pineapple during lunch, and snack on fresh mangos all day. But sometimes...when I'm daring (or just bored) -- I try out whatever fruit I've never had/seen/tasted/heard of before in the States. Usually hit or miss -- but always delightfully colorful.



There's a game I like to play here in China. It's called "Guess what."

Guess what this fruit is...

in Chinese?
in Thai?
in English?
in Vietnamese?

This particular fruit -- I found it in Chinese is called "甜瓜" which translates to "sweet melon".

What is that you ask?

I'm not very sure myself. A slightly less sweet version of a honey dew melon -- that sweats a translucent orange, much like the color of a topaz...

As fun as it looks, looks can be deceiving. Not nearly as sweet as its name, and entirely too heavy to have for a snack. When put in a Thai dessert it's passable as a dessert.

I miss peaches and plums from the States. But...

I'll miss having kiwis, lychee, durian, dragonfruit, small oranges, pomegranate, mangoes, pineapple 等等 -- all for ridiculously low prices. Why can't I have all of that in Massachusetts... Cheap, exotic, fresh fruit. One of the many reasons why I love living here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment