Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Finals, Snow, and Hot Water Pads

F.I.N.A.L.S. = Fuck I'm Not Asian, Life Sucks

Or so I was told by Olivia Lucas. But let me tell you -- as an Asian, I'd like to inform you all that life sucks for us too. Good luck to all back in the states who have finals now! :) I know the pressure is on -- but you guys are almost there! Home stretch! You can do it! 加油! I have finals too so don't expect any lengthy posts any time soon... though I might surprise you all during my bouts of procrastination.

Speaking of which... procrastination today was made entirely made possible by Changsha's first snow fall. Changsha rarely experiences snow -- let alone snows that sticks -- but I had the pleasure of looking out my window this afternoon and seeing rooftops dusted in white. More importantly, I had the pleasure of seeing people's reaction to seeing snow for the first time. Their faces lifted up to face the sky, smiling from ear to ear, with their arms lifted welcoming the first snow -- completely ignoring the cold around them. Like kids on snow days... I was delighted to be there and share in some of the magic of their first snow experience. Growing up in Massachusetts, I forget that half the world has never seen snow in their life. But in an area that rarely snows, snow inevitably brings about not only amazement but also a period of panic. Hats, gloves, snow gear, snow boots, electric blankets, cold medicine, you name it -- are selling like hot cakes. And I guess the "cold" weather is a good excuse to go shopping though I put "cold" in quotes as it rarely ever dips below 0 degrees celsius (32 degrees fahrenheit), let alone below zero.

Yesterday, I helped my roommate buy a hot water pad. Do we use hot water pads in Massachusetts? I personally have never seen one before -- but they're all the rage here. You can find them in every convenient store -- in so many different colors and in too many designs. It's almost a little overwhelming how overboard the Chinese people can go in terms of decorating something as simple as a hot water pad. There are ones that range from 10 RMB (roughly $1.50) to 32 RMB (roughly $4.75). There are Hello Kitty ones and ones wrapped in Chinese silk. There are ones that fit comfortably in your hand and ones that are so heavy you could probably knock the wind out of someone if you threw it the right way. Round ones. Square ones. And ones that have lights -- I kid you not.

But I bought one for 15 RMB (roughly $2.25).

Free image hosting at imagecave.com

It's cute, right?

I feel "old school" as I'm lugging this 3-pound worth of weight around. It's a little awkward -- but I love that its almost too simple to use. You can heat it up by plugging it in to an outlet for maybe two minutes, and then unplug it and use for two hours. It's probably the nicest thing ever to just have a hot water pad sit in your lap as you're studying. I could get addicted. I might take to just putting it under my jacket during the winter despite how cumbersome it is at times.

So for those back home complaining about the cold, the roads that are now grey with slush, the snow banks that take up parking spots, and how spring seems just too far away. Stop, look, and remember to take in how beautiful snow can be at times. Then, of course, you can snap out of your reverie and resume your complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment